Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

last clip, i promise

Just one more clip from the Adopted movie...



This is why I think that colorblindness is an ideal and not realistic in the context of today’s society and world we live in. We must acknowledge the differences between parents and transracially adopted children. This whole thing isn’t for the faint of heart. I believe that it takes great effort, awareness, and intentionality to parent a child of a different race. Definitely can’t stick your head in the sand and ignore the multitude of issues that will come up for you, your child, and your family as a whole.

D and I are quite aware of how our lives will change the day we become parents. There will be quite a few more changes and challenges for us then those who parent biological children or adopt a child of the same race. We will forever stand out in a crowd and will likely need to field intrusive questions from strangers from day one. But in the end it is about the child and our responsibility to see color and difference, and do our very best at being intentional in our parenting and being a transracial family.

1 comment:

a said...

I just found your blog today, and I'm so glad I did. I too am in the process of pursuing an adoption (Domestic Newborn), and I too am grappling with all of the ethical and emotional dilemmas. We just had a failed placement which has brought all of these issues swirling into the open.
Lately I have been overwhelmed, but I think that you have the right attitude--it's ok not to know as long as we keep ourselves open to discussion and possibilities.
Anyway, I wish you the best of luck on the rollercoaster of a journey into motherhood.
Peace,
Amanda