Inside Transracial Adoption provides creative, confident, pro-active, and provocative guidance for parents who are experienced veterans or who are considering transracial adoption for the first time. Whether through domestic or international adoption the authors offer direction for building close, loving, and very real families consisting of individuals who are proud and culturally competent members of differing races.In the first chapter The Challenges of Transracial Adoption the authors cite what they believe to be indisputable principles of transracial adoption:
In a larger context, what makes these core principles indisputable are these broader truths...
- transracial adoption is more complex than same-race adoption
- visible differences between parents and children increase challenges to their acceptance as a family unit
- there are predictable developmental stages for transracial adoptive families which are different from those of same-race families
- issues regarding racial or ethnic awareness and development of positive racial identity must be addressed
- adoption is a response to a life crisis
- race matters
- transracial adoption issues are not easy or comfortable subjects to discus
- adoptive families need to develop the desire and capacity to help themselves
- families built by transracial adoption can let challenges beat them down or they can embrace their issues - a process which only builds strength
If we are successful at giving transracially adopted children all that they need, we will raise adults with a unique ability to understand and interact with white-dominated society, while retaining proud membership in their own racial community.I like this book.