Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

perspective is good

Awhile back D and I started volunteering somewhat regularly at a local homeless shelter. We help out in the kitchen, serve food, and interact with the patrons. Besides being a good distraction from my woes it provides us both with some perspective in life. When I spend time reflecting on the lives of the patrons at this shelter I am very aware that my concerns are minimal. I’m not for want. I have warm shelter, enough food, transportation, a social support network, and employment. I’m not caught up in a system that on the outside is set up to help (i.e. social assistance) but in reality works to keep people trapped in the system. I have certain freedoms and can advocate for myself (that has become apparent in our interactions with our agencies). I have so much and yet I am the one that feels blessed by volunteering.

I don’t want to minimize my own concerns or that of others, but every once in awhile a good dose of perspective is a very good thing.

No comments: