Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

something worth sharing

This post has everything to do with chocolately goodness and nothing to do with adoption.

I typically follow a diet regime that omits refined sugar, dairy, and wheat (sometimes all gluten). Those of you who know me well, know that I have quite the sweet tooth. I have definitely found ways to modify recipes to use more natural sources of sugar like honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar. Some people tell me that to make something gluten, dairy, and sugar free it must be taste free. I totally disagree. It’s a matter of being persistent and willing to try new recipes and find new products, etc.

I must credit Northwest Moms for my recent find. They posted about a gluten, dairy, refined sugar free brownie mix sweetened with honey and molasses. Their review about Pamela’s chocolate brownie mix was so good I knew I needed to try it. I checked the internet looking at the sites for this mix but they didn’t ship into Canada. Then one day while at a local organic grocery store, low and behold, right in front of my face, was the sought after brownie mix. I almost jumped for joy!

I baked it.
Tasted it.
YUM!

The Northwest Mom review was bang on. This brownie tastes like the real thing. I would serve it to guests and never tell them what's NOT in it! This just goes to show that healthier foods don’t have to be taste free! So if you have diet restrictions that leave you wondering how you can ever enjoy chocolately goodness ever again, this post is for you!

I baked my second batch of these AMAZING brownies this weekend and there are a few left in the pan…must go finish them off!

5 comments:

Kim said...

Yummy...I just might have to try those! And, just so you know, the Superstore brand THE DECADENT semi-sweet chocolate chips are dairy free! Those are the ones that we use around here...sometimes in cookies, but often straight out of the bag! Enjoy your brownies...now you've got me hungry for something gooey and chocolate-y.

luna said...

thanks for the tip. we try to avoid white flour and my hub doesn't do sugar, so I might have to try these!

Kara said...

that sounds delicious and I don't even like chocolate. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I can attest to their deliciousness. Lucky me - Lavonne gave me two on Sunday!!! I ate them both; didn't even share with my husband!

Julia said...

Yup, tasty, tasty! These brownies are awesome. And I love all things sugar and chocolate!