Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

honey...i went shopping for the kid

Blast those baby stores with all of their cute, fun, trendy, baby clothes!

Every time I walk into above said stores I experience great internal conflict. Due to the always rising cost of adoption services we are financially in quite a different place than we were one year ago. This is from which most of my struggle stems from.

Let me set the stage. Not only did we receive baby clothes as gifts, we have been given some second hand baby clothes which is so generous. Baby T certainly has enough clothes to get him through the summer, especially if we do a couple loads of laundry weekly.

The dilemma. I am finally in a place where I can look at and purchase baby clothes for MY BABY. Not someone else's. No longer do I feel that heart-hurting, longing feeling when passing a kids clothing store. I now get to go in the store and look at clothes for a REAL baby that is my own. I love that we have such generous friends and family and am so thankful for the clothes (and toys). Yet, I too want to pick out and buy new clothes for my child, not only use hand me downs. I want to choose some of the super cute outfits from Gymboree for T and not only use clothing from Old Navy.

But this is not very fiscally responsible of me.

Then I think about how T will likely be my only child. Why am I spending money on clothing that will never be used in my house again? But one could also argue that because he could be my only child this would be the one and only time I get to look at, oogle over, awww about, and purchase wee little clothes. Buying clothes for a 3 year old doesn't sound nearly as much fun.

Therein lies my internal conflict.

Today I purchased two cute outfits from Gymboree for T (at a pretty good price). Then I did an inventory of all his summer/fall clothing (it's all lying on the living room floor at the moment!). I called a very good friend who has 3 boys (2 through adoption) to talk about realistic summer needs for a one year old and vented about my dilemma.

And tomorrow...

I am going back to Gymboree to pick up two more outfits.

3 comments:

Kara said...

Good for you. Enjoy every magical moment of getting to pick out clothes for T.

Kim said...

Good for you Lavonne. Enjoy the shopping spree!

Anonymous said...

I so get it. It`s nice for friends to be so generous with used and new items, but part of our fun was buying our son new, cute things that we went shopping for. For years, I had gone into Babies RUs and BabyGap, etc and found cute items for showers and my nephew. It cost almost every dime I had in RSPs to finance our adoption, but still I want to get nice things for him. BECAUSE IT`S FUN, BECAUSE I DESERVE TO. And so do you! And so does he| When people ask me if he needs anything, I just say no, but you can get me some wine. Or food.b