Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

a conversation at costco

Awhile back my sister and I were shopping at Costco. T was with us. We had paid for our items (why is it that you always leave Costco buying more than you intended?!) and my sister was waiting with T while I got a hot dog. An older gentleman approached my sister and asked...
Man: Is this your baby?

Sister: No. He's my nephew.

Man: Why is he so dark?

Sister: Um...because his mom and dad are...

Then she turned away from him signifying that the conversation was over.

People are weird and say even weirder things. This man was likely wondering how a biracial baby was so dark since he would have assumed that one of his parents was white. I wonder what he would have said if I had been with T...

Sometimes it's better to keep your thoughts to yourself.

3 comments:

Deb said...

That's why we don't get lots of comments. People assume since she's lighter that she is my bio daughter. Of course that is what gets me looks sometimes as well.

It's fun being a picture of adoption to the world, sometimes.

TheButterfly2 said...

What an odd question.

And I know EXACTLY what you mean about leaving Costco with more than you intended!!!

Aimee said...

People are so dumb saying the first stupid thing that comes to their little minds!!!

And I always get WAY to much stuff at costco too...... it's like you just get into a mode of all the cool things and you just can't stop until your cart is overflowing!!! hahaha