Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

why are you brown?

D and I recently visited the zoo with baby T (his first time). D was holding T near a play area and was approached by a child.
Child: Why did you get a brown one and not a white one?

D: (not sure what to say)

Child: Why is he brown?

D (smiling pleasantly): Why are you white?

Child: I was made that way.

D: Yeah. You're white because you were made that way. And he is brown because he was made that way.
Child's parent joins the conversation.
Parent: You were made white and you are perfect just like he was made brown and he is perfect too.
Child goes back to playing.

The questions have begun...

1 comment:

Kim said...

I think D handled that perfectly, as did the other parent. I'm guessing you might get more questions from kids than adults. My kids always ask the questions that "I know better" not to ask (how old are you? How much money do you make? Why do you only have 1 arm? Will you get married? Will you have kids? etc)! I think that both of you will face the questions with sensitivity and integrity that T will be proud of.