Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

money, money, money

I am very frustrated by the role money plays in adoption. I was recently made aware of a situation where a family was chosen by an expectant mom, but had to decline simply because of the projected final cost of the adoption. I am also aware of a family unable to have biological children who would love to adopt a child, but because of intentional choices they have made to live a simple lifestyle, are unable. Because of money.

I am so sick and tired of money playing such a major role in adoption.

So many of us who have chosen adoption are now in major debt. This isn't right. I don't believe that adoption needs to cost as much as it does. There are always hidden costs that no one, especially not the agencies, tells you about in the beginning. You only find out at the end. Once you're emotionally attached and willing to use plastic for anything and everything. Agencies are non-profit organizations, however I am quite confident that many directors and other agency staff are making a pretty penny.

And as soon as there is a bottom line, greed and corruption enter. If money were taken out of the equation child trafficking would cease to exist. Coercion would no longer be a concern. And other families would be able to adopt a child.

Currently, adoption is for the wealthy. Or at least for those who have a bit of money and are willing to go into debt to build a family. Money is not everything. I truly believe that. But you still need it to feed and clothe a child.

And I'm quite curious as to what that agency told the expectant mom about why the family she chose was unable to parent her child. I sincerely doubt it was the truth.

I leave you with a word from ABBA:
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world.

All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I wouldn't say adoption is for the wealthy but I do understand what you mean. And the frustrations. I think what bothers me the most is how some agencies charge a different amount dependent on the ethnicity of the birth parents. I understand when it comes to special needs, but not race.

But cost is a big issue, especially with people that have adopted once and want another child. That's not our reason for doing foster to adopt for our next child but it's a nice added bonus. We'll have to pay very little in the beginning, just for fingerprints, copies and such. And then the court costs to finalize.

Of course there is also private attorney adoptions, those are very inexpensive, but in my opinion full of risks for everyone.

Anonymous said...

I hear you, sister. We had at least 4 situations in a row where we wanted to put our profile in but couldn't because of the HUGE costs.