Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

i'm a bad OA roundtable blogger

Heather from Production Not Reproduction sent out an email notice regarding a new Open Adoption Roundtable topic.

This time the topic was: How have you seen open adoption portrayed on television? What did you think? What, if anything, would you like to see? Read more here.

We don't have a TV. An intentional decision made after T joined our lives. D and I have a beautiful iMac with a screen bigger than our TV so we download shows and watch only what we want to watch. Therefore I am not privy to general TV viewing --- and actually am really out of touch with world issues! Also, we only subscribed to basic cable which meant that we weren't able to watch any of the special channels where one would be exposed to some of the adoption related shows I've heard of. So no contribution to the roundtable from me.

Previous OA Roundtable topics that I've missed are:

"Open adoption is about information sharing." Share your reaction to that statement. How well does it match up with your experience of open adoption? If you disagree, how would you finish the phrase, "Open adoption is about..."? Read more here.

Write about siblings and open adoption. Read more here.

How do open adoption and holiday traditions intersect in your life? Read more here.

One year ago many of us answered the question, "How will you be proactive in the area of open adoption in 2010?" If you participated in the January 2010 discussion, revisit your post and give us the one-year-later update. Read more here.

I've been hesitant to participate in further OA Roundtable topics because let's face it...we do not have an open adoption. Ours was always semi-open and now since J put a hold on her file at the agency we have no contact what so ever. And yet, I'm having a hard time changing my "about me" profile. My hope and desire for the future is openness but perhaps I need to come down from that cloud and be more honest with myself about what this adoption currently looks like.

No comments: