Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

prime

Gravida/para/abortus (GPA), or sometimes just gravida/para (GP), is a shorthand medical notation for a woman's obstetric history.
  • Gravida indicates the number of times the woman has been pregnant, regardless of whether these pregnancies were carried to term. A current pregnancy, if any, is included in this count.
  • Para indicates the number of viable (>20 wks) births. Pregnancies consisting of multiples, such as twins or triplets, count as one birth for the purpose of this notation.
  • Abortus is the number of pregnancies that were lost for any reason, including induced abortions or miscarriages. The abortus term is sometimes dropped when no pregnancies have been lost.
Another medical term often used to describe a first pregnancy is Prime.

I am considered Prime.

Within the Gravida/Para notation there is no designation for adopted children, so there is no way of new medical personnel that I come across to know that I am not a first time mom.

Because I was in the process of receiving vaccinations for my anticipated trip to Africa, and because I can never ever remember when my last period was (spent way too many years keeping track), I have seen many medical personnel related to this pregnancy.

Each time I walk into a new medical office I am greeted with the words, "Oh, this is your first baby!", to which I reply every time, "No, I have a 2 year old son at home through adoption." (I can't just say I have a 2 year old at home given the many different ways families are blended today). Because adoption usually follows an experience with infertility, the usual response from medical staff is "You must be SO excited about being pregnant!!"

The Gravida/Para designation indicates that I have never been pregnant and this will be my first birth experience which is important for all medical staff to know. I get that.

But every time I need to distinguish the way my son entered my family and hear the overflowing joy related to pregnancy, a joy that many did not express after hearing the news we were adopting, I am reminded that much of the world thinks that adoption is second best and that pregnancy is worth celebrating.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Ugh. I know just what you mean. When we first brought Lovebug home, I remember countless people saying "Congratulations! Now, just watch, you'll finally get pregnant!" It was like people thought THAT would make me happy. Not the beautilful perfect child I now held in my arms; My new daughter. It's sad that the vast majority of society has such a narrow frame of mind.

Aimee said...

And from another point of view a pregnacy lost can just be something "medical" with no emotion or feelings. It can be treated like that baby didn't count. There are just some people in the world who don't think about the full feelings of the person they are dealing with. They don't think before they talk and have a narrow frame of mind....... argh some people!

Anonymous said...

They're both awesome experiences in different ways. Some people just don't think before they speak, eh?

-Cheryl