Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2008

book recommendation on kids and race

I'm currently reading an excellent book on race and child development called "I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World." This book isn't about adoption but as a future transracial family the topic is quite relevant to us. This is from the back cover:

"I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla teaches parents and educators of black and biracial children how to reduce racism's impact on a child's development - from preschool through adolescence - and in doing so to raise emotionally healthy children."

I'm about a third of the way through the book (just finished the preschool years!) and would highly recommend it to any transracial adoptive family. I would actually recommend this book to anyone who knows and interacts with children of color...especially teachers.

*A note to my family and friends...if interested, I'd be more then willing to lend it out!

1 comment:

The Isaacs said...

I will never be able to relate with you about your adoption journey, but I can definitely say that the issues of race and identity are so dear to my heart... I really appreciate your honest thoughts and reflections.