Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

colorblindness - outsiders within

One of my favourite chapters in "Outsiders Within" is titled "Scattered Seeds: The Christian Influence on Korean Adoption" by Jae Ran Kim.

Is this song familiar to you?

Jesus loves the little children,
All the children of the world
Red and yellow, black and white
They are precious in His sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

This is from Jae Ran Kim:
"We must not forget that at the core of transracial adoption, children of color are being adopted by white parents. White parents may feel that they are exempt from being racist; after all, they adopted a child of another race. Yet through promoting the "we are all God's children" mentality, Christianity breeds a sort of colorblindness that is often as dangerous to a child of color as overt racism. This mentality often leads to statements such as, "I don't see [child's name] as Korean, she's just my daughter."

Colorblindness is an ideal. Racism and discrimination are alive and well. I've personally heard transracial adoptive parents say that they don't see their child as black...but guess what...the rest of the world does! I believe in equity and civil rights etc. but I need to be aware of the ugliness that exists in the world and learn how to best prepare a child of color. A few weeks ago I read this post called Seeing Color. In this post an adoptive mother of a child from China writes about how it is important for the world to see her daughter's color but judge her character. I love the way she writes about this important part of being a transracial family. Read her post, it's really good and way more articulate then I could ever be!

1 comment:

Third Mom said...

Exactly. Color-blindness is certainly something our entire society should aspire to, but getting there requires us to be sensitive to issues of race here and now.

I'm glad you are quoting "Outsiders Within" too - it's an excellent book.

(I'm AP at the other end of the journey - our son is in college and our daughter's a senior in high school.)