Pages

Friday, January 23, 2009

this might sound odd but...

Okay, I know I'm supposed to be working on being in the moment and not look ahead to the future. But the other day I was reading a post on what a waiting adoptive mom was looking forward to when a child is placed with her. This got me thinking about what I was most looking forward to and realized that my list was a little odd!

I’m looking forward to…

Waking up in the middle of the night for feedings
Diaper changes
Spit up
Exponentially more laundry
Needing a nap
Diaper rash
Not being able to go out as easily

Incessant crying
Feeling so tired my bones ache
Toting around a diaper bag
Taking 3 times as long to do absolutely anything
Pushing a stroller through all the elements mother nature can throw at me

What did I miss?


I feel ready for the hard stuff. Although I might feel different after walking up multiple nights in a row at 3 in the morning!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you missed. I'll share from my own experience--thought since I actually wasn't the one giving birth that it'd be SO EASY with the sleepless nights, etc. I was SO WRONG. I didn't mind diapers, spit up (there was plenty!), loved laundry, didn't want to go out, had a kick butt stroller, etc. it was the blasted sleep that did me wrong. Oh the lack of sleep. Apparently darkness mixed with crying (mine and Woobs) mixed with lack of sleep mixed with the sound of my husband's snoring is simply a recipe for hatred towards said husband. The good news--that too passed! :)

Guera! said...

Love it!

princessjo1988 said...

I hear you!

Jo

Sabrina said...

Ken could give you a poop story that makes even the most prepared cringe. Changing the diaper was the least of his worries, the poop dripping down the pant leg, into the shoe, on to the floor was a whole other story. So glad I wasn't home for that one!

The pace of life slowing has actually been a nice thing for me. Getting winter gear on isn't always my favorite, but it really challenges me to evaluate what I need - and how I use my time.

Kim said...

There was something that I thought you forgot, but in the process of getting to the comments page...I forgot what it was! Must be my lack of sleep, changing diapers, nights feedings etc. Nope, still can't remember. Perhaps you won't miss losing your mind once in awhile...the lack of sleep is a good excuse for that! if I remember what it was I was going to suggest (I know it was equally as odd as the things on your list), I'll come back!
Kim

Kim said...

Iremembered...you missed that you will look forward to getting to dinner time and remembering that you have forgotten to brush your teeth- all day! Ooohhh...that warm, fuzzy feeling! Kim

D said...

This is D. I've been pretty quiet so far, but I feel I must make a comment about this post.

I am REALLY excited about adopting. I'm NOT excited about:
- diapers
- spit up
- laundry - it is easy for Lavonne to say she is looking forward to laundry when I do 99% of it!!!
- messing with my routine - I need predictability

Maybe it because I'm a guy, but my list of things I'm looking forward to is much different, such as teaching a child (boy or girl) about power tools, why driving aggresively is sometimes a good thing, how to punch hard, the joys of being organized, etc.

While my list may not convey it, I am looking forward to becoming a dad!

Kim said...

D- you'll make a great dad, just as Lavonne will be a great mom. Now, about the power tools...not quite sure how that is so exciting! Enjoy your day..
Oh, you should talk to Ernie about laundry...he does a good portion of ours too...and there is LOTS of it!