Pages

Friday, February 27, 2009

please don't say...#4

When you discover that someone is planning to adopt a child, please don’t say…”At least you don’t have to get big and go through labor.”

Seriously?

Only one person has made reference to the above statement to me and the next person who does better watch out. I might have to get violent! For someone to enter the adoption process because it is “easier” then birthing a biological child is a load of crap. There are likely adoptive parents out there who actually think this, which would make me wonder if they know anything about the process at all.

Going through this process is one of the hardest things I have ever done and I’ve experienced some pretty difficult situations in my life. Granted our adoption experience thus far has been riddled with over-the-top frustration and difficulty while others often go more smoothly. At this point, I would take 48 hours of excruciating pain over a year of unbelievable stress. It is not my intent to minimize the pain and difficulty that occurs during childbirth or make this into a competition. I’m merely asking for some perspective.

2 comments:

Guera! said...

I am never quick on my feet with responses to stupid comments like that but if I get the chance and someone says that to me I might have to say "oh, I am sorry to hear you regret having your children. You know you could have adopted."

Francie said...

Could it be that they are just trying to find something nice to say? Communication perfection is something to strive for, but sincerity with some benefit of the doubt makes for a happier life.