Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

an obsession

I admit it. I have adoption obsessive compulsive disorder….AOCD. I obsessively check my email for updates from either agency…sometimes I think if I stare at my inbox for long enough I’ll get a new message. The first thing I do when I walk in the door at home is strain to check for the little red blinking light on my phone. And sometimes I’ll even check my home messages from work. I think about adoption all day long. It’s pathetic, I know.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. What’s the next one?!

Check out this post by Laura about AOCD.

2 comments:

Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

At least you now have a name for it. And that you know others with the same problem.

Laura

Carolyn said...

I think aknowledging "the problem" with grace and humor is an important first step. The next steps are to continue processing the obsession with grace and humor, loving yourself for wanting a child so much, and being compassionate with yourself when the waiting must continue, and then having a way to cushion the blow, even just a little, when the red light doesn't blink.