Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

home study update blahs

Yesterday we met with our social worker to update our home study. Blah. Our current home study expires in the beginning of August. I was so dreading this day and really thought we had escaped the update blahs when A picked us to adopt her child in June.

The update was really painless. (Except for the bill we’ll receive in the mail from our agency). The hardest part of the update is how the whole process made me feel. I felt like we were starting right from the beginning with everything. Because we had such high expectations that the adoption would happen quite quickly, never did we imagine doing an update. So I wasn’t especially excited to see our social worker under these circumstances…we thought we would be arranging a post placement visit with her this month instead.

I know in my head that we haven’t really restarted the whole process. Our American agency will proceed as usual with sending us information on potential matches. In 7 months we received information on 6 potential matches. I feel like we’ll now have to go through 6 more and another 7 months before we’ll be chosen again. We’re wondering how many more times we’ll have to go through the stress of wondering if an expectant mom is going to pick us. And then wonder why the hell not when she doesn’t.*

*I am very aware that this process isn’t just about me and my wants and desires. D and I have the utmost respect for each expectant mom profile that crosses our path and we really only want what is best for her. But right now I am in a frame of mind where this is about me and how I am working through this loss.

2 comments:

Guera! said...

oh boy...like you guys we never anticipated having to do an update. The expiration is still a ways away but we thought everything would happen within six months. We have yet to even make the final cut for any children we had our eye on. Good luck to you!

Sabrina said...

I can't imagine how difficult the process of receiving potential matches is, only to not be chosen. I am sorry this process is so difficult, and that you find yourself having to update things. It has got to be especially difficult having been so close to bringing baby home. I will resume hoping that 'this' week is it, and praying into that picture.