Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

please say...#1

Today I was out with baby T. I brought some new baby clothes that have never been worn to a consignment store. The store owner was very helpful and super nice. She disclosed that she was also an adoptive mom. They adopted their son domestically. She asked me a few questions about T and then asked in the most possible politically correct way...

"Now did you travel to get your little one?"

I immediately realized how she had framed this question. How she had asked where T was from, thinking likely another country but not outright assuming this. Quite different from the lady in the grocery store who, without engaging me in any sort of conversation related to adoption, asked if T was from Haiti.

I will take note of this question and use it in the future when encountering adoptive families.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ooooo I like that. Thanks for sharing!

Deb said...

That is a great way to ask. Where is she from is the question we get most.

Aimee said...

Thanks for sharing! I think that is a wonderful way to ask that type of question.