Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

to celebrate pregnancy

The idea of what it means to celebrate pregnancy is a value. All who do become pregnant will experience this in different ways.

I come into this pregnancy with certain life circumstance that many pregnant women will never experience. I have a history of infertility. Never even once considered assisted reproductive technology. A history with adoption. And I was never pregnant (until now of course)...so no miscarriages etc.

Beyond what the end result of being pregnant was, I did not feel this great need to be pregnant. I did not feel less of a woman by not experiencing this rite of passage. I had difficulty dealing with those who were pregnant around me because I wanted what they would have at the end of 9 months. I seriously just wanted to be a mom.

I have also worked with pregnant women and babies for most of my career. I have seen and chatted with more pregnant women then I could ever begin to count. And I have held babies over and over again. To see a pregnant woman and baby at this point in my life are very common place. I don't gush over the bellies or babies. They just are what they are.

Also, the lack of high fives and ooing/awing over the belly is just who I am. I have never -- even before we started trying to conceive -- wanted to touch bellies or know all the intimate details about being pregnant. I have been genuinely interested in my friends and their pregnancies but still don't need to spend gobs of time on the topic. And never would I initiate a conversation with a stranger and their belly, unless we were already engaged in conversation and I felt it was appropriate.

I also approach this pregnancy as someone who spoke with a pregnant woman two years ago about potentially parenting her child, and then watched that same woman place her baby in my arms. I think about her pregnancy experience and that perhaps it was not one to celebrate. I think about her in the grocery store with her older daughter and a swollen belly and wonder what strangers may have said to her.

And I do think there is something different about a stranger making a curious comment about a due date when appropriate versus an acquaintance or friend saying "I thought you couldn't get pregnant" or making other assumptions without truly listening to what is felt by the woman at the time.

People worry that I'm missing out on some sort of feeling or experience during this pregnancy...something that they themselves may have felt during pregnancy. Again, what a pregnancy celebration means and looks like is a value. I don't need others to put their values about pregnancy on me. I am truly not concerned about my lack of celebration. I have yet to move into full acceptance of this pregnancy and the end result. Most of the time I still can't believe that I'm pregnant in the first place, and I know enough about myself to know that belief and acceptance will only come after birth. Once there really is a baby to care for and to love on. I am not concerned or worried that bonding and attachment won't happen. I'm just not sure how it will happen, and this again is different for every woman, no matter her pregnancy experience.

If those around me want to celebrate my pregnancy, go for it. Just don't try to make me feel like I have to follow suit or feel what they felt during the same experience.

In this blog space I am being completely honest about my emotions and process. And this may make people uncomfortable. I could perhaps ignore my own feelings and appear as though pregnancy and another child is now the best possible thing to happen to me and I wouldn't want it any other way. That may make those around me more comfortable, but I do know that I would be worse off for not feeling what I feel and being honest about the process.

After my father passed away and people didn't know what to say to me, I ended up saying things to help make them feel better and take them off the hook per say. Those moments were hard for me. I was in the depths of despair but took energy away from processing this loss in my life by caring for others. I'm certainly all for being a caring person -- and those who know me well know that I am not coldhearted -- but I was struggling with life and grieving and needed support. I didn't need full understanding because I am very aware that unless one has walked the road of similar grief it's difficult to empathize, but to just listen to my hurting heart and to be okay with where I was in that moment.

And today at 7 months pregnant I am okay with where I'm at. Contrary to popular belief, I do not sit around and constantly bemoan this pregnancy. At the same time I am still very real and authentic with where I'm at in this journey. I have done as much work processing my new life path as I can do right now. The next part which includes full acceptance and moving forward with love and joy will occur after birth. And I know the rest of my processing time will not happen immediately.

In the meantime, the words I write on this blog are but a glimpse into my current life state. It is mostly the hard stuff I've been thinking about that I write here. I don't write about preparing the baby room, or buying all the cute tiny pink clothes, or watching T hear the heartbeat. All these things are a part of my life as well, I just don't "celebrate" them in the same way as another pregnant woman would.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

It was lovely to see you unexpectedly today. Clearly I am someone who gets excited about the wee one getting bigger:)

I appreciate how you are able to articulate your experience without feeling like you need to take care of anyone else's feelings - I'm sorry you had to learn how to do this through such a difficult grieving experience. Valuable life skill, but really crappy way to get it.

I'll have to think more on this, but I don't know if for me celebration is about pregnancy and all that it entails, but rather about the life that is being formed and growing. The physical changes that happen through pregnancy are a means of recognizing and celebrating a person...not so much the experience of pregnancy (though I acknowledge wholeheartedly how neat the act of growing/hosting life is). Does that make sense?

As I think of this idea of pregnancy and the physical obviousness of it being a vehicle for celebration of the life that is forming, I think of how different your experience with T must have been. Correct me if I'm wrong, but whether it be on your blog or another adoption related one I've perused I've read of an apparent lack of enthusiasm or celebration of a family that comes to be through adoption rather than a (forgive me if my term is wrong, I'm having trouble figuring out how to phrase this) biological pregnancy. Does the difference in level of support/enthusiasm/celebration mean that biological pregnancy is the preferred way of forming a family, or is the celebration that happens during pregnancy a celebration of a new life that is markedly obvious by physical changes that are observable by those connected to the mother. As T grew and developed there was nothing tangible for others to recognize and see as evidence of his growth and development, and so speaking as someone in your world at that time, my ability to celebrate and be excited was handicapped by the absence of milestones and markers that I could emotionally connect with. The fact that I didn't know T was growing definitely changed how I was able to celebrate with you during that time in your life.

Thinking of this, I recall seeing photos from your time connecting with "A" before the baby arrived. When I saw photos of your hands on her belly I remember being teary-eyed and completely awed and amazed at the miracle of that life, and as I became aware of this baby that at the time was to be yours my ability to anticipate and rejoice with you and D was heightened. I wasn't celebrating a tummy, but the life therein - and it was through an awareness that this life existed - and multiplied by an image that spoke to the reality of it, that my ability to celebrate with you grew in a new way.

Regardless of whether a baby is anticipated, hoped for, unwanted, or even if it serves as a painful reminder of atrocity as babies sometimes do - I see life as something God-breathed (no, I don't think God orchestrates every pregnancy), and see each each person...no matter how desired or undesired...as worthy of love and value, as worthy of being celebrated and welcomed into this chaotic, messy, painful, and joy-filled world.

Forgive my lengthy ramblings. I'll end by saying that I can appreciate that the experience of pregnancy isn't something you feel the need to celebrate. I can recall lamenting the experience myself during some less that comfortable moments. But what I can say is that as I rest my hand on your tummy that my joy is not reserved for your experience of carrying a baby, but for the life you are forming.

Lavonne said...

hi sabrina - boy you leave big comments! there is always way too much in there to neatly unpack!

it's clear to me that for you to celebrate pregnancy is to celebrate life. i can definitely say that this is not my experience. i will be able to celebrate the life once she is here. and perhaps that comes from being in the adoption process first and feeling very uncelebratory with all the hellish twists/turns our process took.

at the same time i am able to celebrate with someone who has just started the adoption process likely the same way you are upon hearing of pregnancy news. i am celebrating a child and the forming of a forever family versus the growing life.

it's just different perspective but a good one to acknowledge. and this is definitely what i mean when i say that to celebrate is a value and it looks different for everyone.

your joy is for the forming life. my joy will come once babe is here.

we'll have to keep bumping into each other!

Sabrina said...

Thanks for your response. I am working hard to understand where you are coming from, even if it is unfamiliar territory for me.

I guess I struggle to understand how it is possible to celebrate "a child and the forming of a forever family" without celebrating the child as it grows and develops.

Thanks for sharing where you're at. I'm looking forward to seeing how joy unfolds in your life when you meet your new baby.